A single wind turbine, able to double nearly the wind farm’s capacity, has replaced seven wind turbines. The annual production of the wind farm is going to meet the average annual consumption of 1830 Canary households, avoiding the emission of 4845 tonnes of CO2 in the atmospheric per year.
On March 3, the Regional Minister of Economy and Treasury of the Canary Islands (Spain), Pedro Ortega, and the General Manager of Endesa Canary Islands, Pablo Casado, took part in a technical visit of the recently upgraded Barranco wind farm in Tirajana together with the Deputy Minister for Industry, Energy and Commerce, Adrián Mendoza, the director of the Technological Institute of the Canary Islands (ITC), Gabriel Megías, and the Manager of Enel Green Power Spain, renewable energy unit held 100% by Endesa.
Enel Green Power Spain holds 60% of the wind farm and the remaining 40% are held by ITC, which depends on the Ministry of Industry of the Canary Islands through the wind power society Tirajana S.L.
According to the agreement on technical and administrative conditions for the enhancement of the existing wind farms signed on 15 November 2016, the company demanded for an enhancement of the wind farm through the replacement of seven existing wind turbines- six with an rated output of 160 kW and one with 300 kW- with a single wind turbine doubling nearly the output capacity from 1260 kW to 2000 kW.
The average production of the new wind farm aims to reach 6000 MWh/year [megawatt/hours/year], which is almost twice the production of the existing wind farm and is equivalent to the average annual consumption of 1830 Canarian households.
Bringing the upgraded wind farm into service enables also an annual fuel saving of 1.601 toe (tonne of oil equivalent) avoiding the emission of 4845 tonnes of CO2 in the atmospheric per year.