Construction is under way on the Primoral wind farm. The facility, which is expected to come online by the end of 2019, will help the banking group BBVA to achieve their sustainability goals.
Enel Green Power started construction of its 35 MW Primoral wind farm, located in Villamayor de Gállego, Zaragoza, which will involve an investment of around 34 million euros.
The Primoral wind farm will cover 30% of the energy needs of BBVA's corporate buildings and branch network in Spain, while EGP will provide the remaining 70% through green certificates.
The new wind farm is expected to come online by the end of 2019 and will consist of 10 wind turbines with a capacity of 3.4 MW each. Once fully operational, Primoral will be able to generate around 108 GWh per year, avoiding the annual emission of over 71,000 tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere.
The facility, which contributes to BBVA's 2025 Commitment, will add to the installed renewable capacity in Spain and help to reduce CO2 emissions.
The PPA is part of BBVA Group's participation in the RE100 Initiative, through which it has committed to cover 100% of its global energy needs with renewable energies. The agreement is also in line with the banking group’s 2025 Commitment, which includes the objective of reducing the Group's CO2 emissions by 68%, equivalent to up to 90,000 tonnes.
The annual energy consumption of the banking group in Spain amounts to 237 GWh, equivalent to the annual consumption of 67,500 homes or all homes in the province of Soria, all of which is supplied by EGP, at a fixed price and with a guarantee of origin.
The Power Purchase Agreement increases the commitment to environmental sustainability, while boosting cost savings. In the case of BBVA, the bank will pay a fixed price for the electricity supplied by the wind farm, offering annual savings of approximately 10%.
In Mexico, BBVA has a PPA in place with Enel Green Power covering 80% of the power consumed by the bank; in the United States, BBVA has a PPA in place with another player to cover 100% of its energy consumption in the country.
EGP's Projects in Aragon
This new wind farm in Aragon joins the eleven other wind farms that EGP is building in this autonomous community of Spain, for a total capacity of over 400 MW and an annual generation capacity of around 1,300 GWh, avoiding the annual emission of 867,402 tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere.
Specifically, six are located in the province of Teruel: Muniesa, Farlán, San Pedro de Alacón, Allueva, Sierra Pelarda and Sierra Costera I and six in the province of Zaragoza: Campoliva I, El Campo, Santo Domingo de Luna, Loma Gorda, Campoliva II and Primoral. All are expected to come into operation in late 2019.
Out of these wind farms being built in Aragon, 10 are part of the 540 MW - Campoliva II and Primoral are not included - awarded to EGP in May 2017, which also include facilities to be built in Andalusia, Castile-Léon, Castile-La Mancha and Galicia.
EGP has also started building in Extremadura and Murcia the 339 MW of solar capacity awarded at the government's third auction in July 2017.
The construction of the wind (540 MW) and solar (339 MW) capacity awarded in these two auctions involves an investment of over 800 million euros between now and 2020. The additional 879 MW will increase the capacity of EGP's current renewable energy assets by 52.4%.
EGP is using a variety of innovative tools and methods to build its wind farms, including drones for topographic surveys, smart tracking of the wind turbine components and advanced digital platforms and software solutions to monitor and provide remote support for site activities and commissioning the wind farms. These tools and solutions will facilitate the rapid gathering of accurate and reliable data on the construction activities, enhancing overall building quality and communications between on- and off-site teams.
In addition, EGP is employing the "Sustainable Construction Site" model for these projects, which includes the use of solar panels at each site to cover part of their energy needs, and water saving measures such as the installation of water tanks and rainwater collection systems. Upon completion of the construction works, the solar panels and water saving systems will be donated to the towns hosting the projects for public use.