La Stanga hydroelectric plant
La Stanga hydroelectric plant is situated on state highway 203 in Sedico, a municipality in the Dolomites in the province of Belluno. The plant is housed entirely inside a cave; its construction was completed in 1943. The architecture and the façade were designed by architect Giuseppe Berti, creator of neo-gothic and Liberty style buildings in the Veneto region. Over the side entrance is an inscription in Latin stating: “The power of falling water harnessed by human ingenuity creates light and life.”
The plant uses the outflow water from another hydroelectric plant, the Agordo plant, in addition to part of the residual flow from the Cordevole Torrent. The outflow waters are then channeled to nearby Lake Mis. The plant, which has two turbines, takes advantage of a hydraulic head of more than 165 meters and has an average water flow rate of 15 cubic meters per second.
CO2 emissions avoided
40,000 metric tons per year
Energy needs met
57,000 households per year
Impact on local communities
The plant has a 13-kilometer headrace tunnel connecting it to the outlet of the Agordo plant as well as a series of additional water inflows from smaller watercourses. Each water catchment site is equipped with devices for the controlled release of a Minimum Vital Flow (MVF) to protect the physical features of each watercourse, from the chemical and physical characteristics of the water to the preservation of native animal and plant life. The plant makes an important contribution to producing energy from renewable sources and avoiding CO2 emissions.